The Dell machine(s) include:
- 2% markup
- 5 Year Pro Support & Next Business Day (NBD) On Site Service
- 5 Year Accidental Damage (AD) Protection
N.B. Theft cover has not been included and should be arranged on personal insurance.
Any parent wishing to confirm that there is two percent mark-up is welcome to contact iSquared, or the parent committee. A parent who believes that they have found a better deal online is advised to confirm that they are comparing the same range (Latitude), model & after sales support (5 yr NBD support & Accidental Damage cover).
The Apple machine(s) include:
- 5 Year warranty: 1 year international and 4 year local, Digicape carry-in warranty
- 8% Apple educational discount
- Windows OS license
- Excludes accidental care
N.B.Insurance and theft cover has not been included and should be arranged on personal insurance.
We strongly recommend that you fully insure your machine against theft or loss. Bishops does not insure any computers bought by boys or their parents and parents are asked to make their own insurance arrangements.
A Once-Off Support Levy
All boys are charged a once-off support levy, billed in the first term of their Grade 8 year. This levy covers:
- support for learning and teaching
- initial configuration of machines
- full software support on software required by the school for their school career
- access to loan units, available as back-up machines for boys whose machines are in for repair, for a maximum of three days
- maintenance of images of machines so that turnaround time is efficient
- pushing out software updates and maintaining on-line support
- anti-virus support
- network connectivity
- printing connectivity
- managed Internet access
Annual Software License Fee
Each boy is charged an annual Software software license on his first term fee account. This license covers anti-virus software, the full Office suite and Windows operating system upgrades. Bishops delivers software updates to boys’ machines to ensure all machines are on the same, chosen, version of software. We ensure that a particular version is stable before rolling it out.
All other basic software and programming for school needs are included.
Some specialist courses (e.g. art, technology) might require additional software costs at a later stage in the same way as certain subjects require different text books.
Discs, flash drives, modems, internet connection at home etc. are all for your own account.
At the start of each year, boys are allocated a printing allowance, whether printed or photocopied, from our networked printers on campus. These copies are free of charge. Should a boy need to print more, he can apply for a top up. The fee for this top will be charged to your fee account. We encourage boys to keep printing to a minimum. We have an electronic hand-in system for work and Bishops expects teachers to keep their demands for hard copy to an absolute minimum. This makes sense not only from an administrative point of view, but also in the interests of the environment.